Are you a fashionable female with a penchant for football? Well good luck trying not to look like one of the boys on game day! For the gal who likes to show her team spirit without wearing a linebacker’s official jersey there aren’t a lot of stylish options on the market. When I saw this NFL ad in last month’s Vogue, I was instantly inspired…
photo credit: allsportcouture.com
Why not mix it up a bit? There’s no need to don your boyfriend’s jeans and sneakers just because you like to play armchair quarterback on the weekends. Capitalize on your femininity and win the trophy for best looking lady at the tailgate party! Take a couple official team pieces, like a fitted tee or hoodie and a ball cap, throw some silk drawstring pants and high heels into the formation, layer on a few pieces of bling-bling, and you’ve got a winning play!
1. Lizzie Fortunato necklace, $470, farfetch.com
2. Chain necklace, $11, forever21.com
3. FSU Seminoles hoodie, $36, footballfanatics.com
4. FSU Seminole hat, $22, footballfanatics.com
5. Jet Set drawstring pant, $623, farfetch.com
6. Joie gold sandals, $275, joie.com
7. Fossil chain bracelet, $30, fossil.com
8. Givenchy cuff bracelet, $695, barneys.com
~XOXO… Go Noles!
Vera Wang is femininity personified… this we know. But did you also know that her fashion collections, above and beyond the amazing bridal gowns she’s most well-known for, are edgy and sexy and very rock-n-roll? I’m here to tell you that Vera Wang rocks! Check out my three favorite looks from her Fall 2013 runway show below. The layering of shimmery sequins and sheer floral prints paired with tailored skinny pants creates an overall effect that radiates confidence and sophistication…
Here’s my shoppable version of Vera Wang’s Fall 2013 runway style…
1. Michael Kors short dress (altered), $180, yoox.com
2. Mango sheer long sleeve tee, $34.99, mango.com
3. Floral cigarette trouser, $76, topshop.com
4. Betsey Johnson mini satchel, $108, lordandtaylor.com
5. Michael Kors suede platform sandal, $150, neimanmarcus.com
I hired a new assistant. She’s six, so she works for snacks and candy. It’s working out well. She’s a wizard with the Nikon…
Here are some samples of her work behind the lens…
Outfit 1: Cacharel top & Bloch flats (Deborah Kent’s), Lil skirt (closet), Nine West handbag (DSW)
Outfit 2: Naked Zebra jumper (JC’s Boutique), Humanoid silk jacket (Deborah Kent’s), MaxStudio.com heels, Total Betty Society necklace
Outfit 3: Bellatrix shirt (Nordstrom Rack), Tart sequin pants (JC’s Boutique), Vince Camuto booties (Nordstrom), vintage purse strap as necklace, MaxStudio.com leather cuff
“Really elegant but weird; almost nerdy but perverse.”
~ Photographer Juergen Teller describing the Celine Fall Collection
My top three looks from the Celine Fall Collection had several key elements in common. If you’re a fan of the simple, elegant, mid-century modern made contemporary looks above, and you’d like to give it a go, be sure to include the following elements in your ensemble:
Color- Soft and monochromatic. Top and skirt should be solid and matching in color.
Texture- Every piece should want to make you touch it! Go for wooly, cozy, furry, etc.
Shape- Boxy on top with a fit & flare skirt that falls below the knee.
Booties- Find one that hits below the mid-calf and fits like a second skin.
Check out my shoppable translation below…
1. Leather Box T-shirt, $190, topshop.com
2. Deadly Ponies Handbag, $839, farfetch.com
3. Sabine Skirt, $295, toryburch.com
4. Robert Lee Morris Cuff, $98, bloomingdales.com
5. Louboutin Daf Booty, $1395, christianlouboutin.com
-Mid-century silhouette complete with clearly defined waist and knee-skimming hemline
-Boatneck henley tee layered beneath rich fall fabrics
-Chunky metallic platform sandal
-Large fabric tote
Got denim? Sure you do. Who doesn’t? Got leopard print flats? Well, if not then you’re missing out on a huge opportunity to expand your wardrobe options. Animal print (in small doses) is a great neutral… in other words, it goes with just about everything! A pair of leopard print ballet flats can be worn with solids (red, coral, turquoise, royal blue) or with prints (stripes & floral). The combination of a denim bottom and these classic shoes will serve as a blank slate on which any number of trendy tops can be worn to create a cohesive look…
1. Linen Camp Tee, $49.50, madewell.com
2. Silk Peplum Top, $108, madewell.com
3. Striped Tee, $42, misselfridge.com
4. Topshop Skater Skirt, $40, nordstrom.com
5. Denim Pencil Skirt, $59.90, zara.com
6. Current/Elliott Boyfriend jean, $225, net-a-porter.com
7. Leopard Print Flat, $50, nastygal.com
Here’s a spring trend that dominated the runways and simply will not go away on the streets… the bare midriff! You may think this trend only works on the young, thin, modelesque types, and you’d be totally correct. I do not recommend you try this one unless you are completely comfortable with showing some skin. Here’s why I can’t hate on this look- because if done correctly it looks fabulous! My two rules for pulling off the peek-a-boo belly style are #1 make sure the skirt is high-waisted enough to cover your belly button and #2 the bottom of the crop top should almost touch the waistline of the skirt so you just show a sliver of skin. Here’s my dressy version…
1. Tribal Stud Crop Top, $26, newlook.com
2. Nine West Caged Sandal, $89, ninewest.com
3. Coral Pleated Maxi Skirt, $46, riverisland.com
4. Bar III Bracelet Set, $32, macys.com
5. Sklerijenn Bracelet, $15, aldoshoes.com
6. Jessica Simpson Smash Hit Clutch, $26.95, dsw.com
The Spring 2013 runway shows provided plenty of androgyny in the form of power suits and pant suits. Designers like Mary Katrantzou, Yves Saint Laurent & Balmain (among others) kept it feminine with form-fitted craftsmanship and soft fabrics in matching prints. The skinny pant was a key component for achieving a powerful, yet lady-like look. For a casual daytime suit, I like the look of seersucker. Here’s my take on a classic Spring ensemble…
1. Striped Seersucker Blazer, $79.99, shop.mango.com
2. Striped Seersucker Trousers, $54.99, shop.mango.com
3. Midnight Floral Tee, $45, jcrew.com
4. Lime Curve Tote Bag, $74, riverisland.com
5. Charles by Charles David Espadrilles, $82.49, heels.com
As a full-time Mommy to two active little kiddos, I live nearly three-quarters of my existence schlepping around in my playground digs. You know the look: boyfriend jeans, Project E distressed tee (which I have in several colors and prints), sometimes Chucks, sometimes Havaiana flip-flops (Yes, it’s Tampa!), and more often than I’d like to admit, a baseball cap. Did I mention NO make-up? Yes… quite the vision. This is my disguise from the paparazzi of course. That, and running around after children is a tad more difficult while rocking a five inch platform heel. I often dread running into a client or fellow fashionista. They’ll think I have no idea what I’m talking about. “Fashion?… um, her?”
But that’s just my world right now. That’s how I roll! You may run into me in the grocery store one day and, odds are, I’ll be wearing the uniform described above. It’s like living a double life… being a fashion stylist AND a stay-at-home Mom. As a fashion expert, my clients and readers have certain expectations for what I should look like. Naturally! I live for being a fashion plate… trust me. But the reality is that nobody can be glamorous all the time… especially if your reality does not include full-time nannies, hair stylists, and make-up artists.
My life is happening at a lightning pace and in order for me to live in the NOW and enjoy it, I gotta move quickly to keep up. That usually means I’m sacrificing the luxury of getting dressed up in order to get out the door in under 10 minutes!